Flank Steak with NatureSweet® Glorys® Tomatoes and Garlic Confit
Course Type: Main Course
Preparation Time: 50 minutes
A sophisticated and flavorful twist on steak
- 1 10-oz. container NatureSweet® Glorys® tomatoes
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 medium garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 flank steak, about 1-1/2 pounds and 3/4 inch thick
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- Rinse the Glorys® tomatoes. Cut each tomato in half with a serrated knife. In a small 6-inch saucepan, combine the tomatoes, oil, garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes. The oil should just barely cover the garlic cloves. Cook over very low heat (just barely a simmer) until the garlic starts to brown, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool. The garlic will continue to soften and brown until the oil cools. Set aside.
- Pour 2 to 3 tbsp. of the garlic oil onto a rimmed sheet pan. Dredge the steak through the oil, coating both sides. Season the steak evenly with salt and pepper. Allow the steak to stand at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes before grilling.
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450° F).
- Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the steak over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until cooked to your desired doneness, 8 to 10 minutes for medium rare, turning once or twice. Remove from the grill and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Cut the steak across the grain into thin slices. Strain the tomatoes and garlic with a slotted spoon and serve over the steak. Sprinkle the basil on top.