Constellation™ Tomato Upside-Down Cake
Course Type: Dessert
Preparation Time: 120 minutes
You can never go wrong with this sweet take on tomatoes!
- 1 16.5-oz. container NatureSweet® Constellation™ tomatoes, halved
- 12 tbsp. (1-1/2 sticks) butter, softened and divided
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9-inch springform pan with butter, and then line the bottom with a parchment paper round.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir in 4 tbsp. of butter with the brown sugar until the butter melts. Pour into the springform pan, and arrange the tomatoes in two layers over the sugar mixture.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, ginger and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer beat the remaining 8 tbsp. butter with 1 cup of sugar until well combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, and then beat. Alternate the dry ingredients with the milk. Add the vanilla. Pour into the pan.
- Place the pan on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 70 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes. Invert the pan onto a platter, and unhinge the springform pan. Drizzle cake with any syrup that may have dripped onto the baking sheet.