Creamy Vegan Polenta with Tomato and Wild Mushroom Ragú
Course Type: Main Course, Vegan
Preparation Time: 55 Minutes
This decadent dish is perfect for winter—and every other day of the year.
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 7 cups water
- 2 cups medium grind cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 12 ounces mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 (24 oz) container of NatureSweet® Cherubs®
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- Fresh thyme leaves
Instructions:For the Polenta:
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring the coconut milk and water to a boil, then gradually whisk in the cornmeal and salt.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and stir frequently. Allow to boil, and as soon as the polenta begins to spatter, lower the heat. Continue to cook, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula, until the polenta begins to pull away from the side of the saucepan and is very thick, about 20 minutes. (Meanwhile, prepare the ragú.)
- After 20 minutes, add the nutritional yeast and olive oil, and stir. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If the polenta starts to clump, whisk vigorously until the clumps are gone, or add a little water, and stir to combine.
- Heat the olive oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Add the mushrooms and fresh thyme leaves, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are golden, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the NatureSweet® Cherubs®, black pepper and salt. Cook until the tomatoes burst, about 6 to 7 minutes. If the tomatoes or mushrooms start to burn, lower the heat.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and stir to coat the vegetables. Continue to cook until the moisture is mostly reduced, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Spoon the polenta into each bowls, then top with the ragú. Garnish with fresh thyme and serve immediately.