NatureSweet® Glorys® Tomato, Roasted Jalapeño and Avocado Poppers
Course Type: Appetizer
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
The perfect appetizer for popping in your mouth!
- 1 10-oz. container NatureSweet® Glorys® tomatoes
- 1 medium jalapeño chili pepper
- 2 oz. feta cheese crumbles
- 1/4 ripe Hass avocado
- 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/3 tsp. ground black pepper
- Soak 4-inch toothpicks in water before grilling – at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over high heat (450°-550° F).
- Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the jalapeño over direct high heat with the lid closed as much as possible, until the skin is blackened and blistered all over, 5-8 minutes, turning once or twice. Set aside to cool. Remove and discard the stem and seeds, and then mince the jalapeño.
- Reduce the temperature of the grill to low heat (250°-350° F).
- Rinse the NatureSweet® Glorys® tomatoes. Using a paring knife, gently core and seed tomatoes, reserving the pulp and seeds.
- In a medium bowl, using the back of a fork, mash the cheese, avocado, jalapeño, garlic, pepper and reserved tomato pulp and seeds. Generously stuff each hollowed-out tomato with the mixture.
- Double-skewer two tomatoes on 4-inch toothpicks. Grill the tomatoes over direct low heat, with lid closed as much as possible, until the tomatoes start to bubble around the base (4-6 minutes) without turning. Using tongs, carefully remove the tomatoes from the grill and serve warm.