Course Type: Side Salad, Vegan, Vegetarian
Eclipses® Quinoa Salad
Besides being deliciously nutty, quinoa is a complete protein. Win-win!
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed in a fine-mesh colander
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ⅔ cup pepitas (green pumpkin seeds)
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch of salt
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced and quartered
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley (from 1 large bunch)
- 1 cup finely chopped mint leaves
- 1 3-pack Nature Sweet Eclipses, cut in wedges
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta (optional, omit for vegan option)
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup lime juice (from about 4 limes)
- ½ cup lightly packed cilantro (mostly leaves)
- 1 small jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup for vegan option
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Toast the pepitas: combine the pepitas, olive oil, paprika, and a pinch of salt in a medium skillet over medium heat. Toast the pepitas, stirring frequently, until they turn golden on the edges and make little popping noises, about 4 to 7 minutes. Set the skillet aside to cool.
- To cook the quinoa: Combine the rinsed quinoa and the broth in a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then decrease the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook, uncovered, until the quinoa has absorbed all of the water, about 15 minutes, reducing heat if needed to maintain a gentle simmer. Remove from heat, cover, and let the quinoa rest for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Once the quinoa has cooled, combine it in a large serving bowl with the remaining ingredients. Set aside while you prepare the dressing.
- To make the dressing: Combine all of the ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth. Taste, and add extra salt if needed. Blend again, then transfer to a small jar with a spout, for serving.