Mini Empanadas Stuffed with NatureSweet® Glorys® Tomatoes, Jack Cheese and Shredded Chicken
Course Type: Main Course
Preparation Time: 75 minutes
Food is more fun when it’s in a pouch
- 1 container NatureSweet® Glorys® tomatoes, chopped
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cooked
- 1 onion, medium, finely diced
- 1 jalapeño, minced (ribs and seeds removed for less heat, if desired)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3/4 cup Jack cheese, grated
- 1 package (2 each) frozen empanada dough disks, thawed (or refrigerated pie crust cut into 5-inch rounds)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (do not beat until ready to bake)
- 1 tbsp. water
- For the filling: Shred cooked chicken meat and set aside.
- Sauté the onion and jalapeño in olive oil; cook until soft, 5 minutes. Stir in chili powder and tomatoes. Cook over medium until mixture has thickened, 12 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Let cool. Fold in the cilantro, cheese, and shredded chicken.
- For the empanadas assembly: Place about 1 tbsp. filling in the center of each pastry round. Fold in half, lightly pressing out excess air, to create half-moons. Crimp the edges together with your fingers or a fork to seal. If desired, at this point, freeze the uncooked empanadas on a baking sheet until firm, about 2 hours. Wrap tightly in plastic; freeze in plastic bags for later use.
- To bake fresh or frozen empanadas, preheat oven to 400° F. Place the empanadas on parchment-lined baking sheets. Combine egg and water, then brush tops with egg wash. Bake until golden brown, about 30 to 40 minutes.