Spicy Shrimp and Glorys® Tomato “Pops”
Course Type: Appetizer, Healthy Options
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Bursting with grilled goodness!
- 2 10.5-oz. containers NatureSweet® Glorys® tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. dried cilantro
- 1 tsp. chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 pound shrimp (31-40 count) or larger ones, thawed, deveined and shelled with tails removed
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the cayenne, dried cilantro, chili powder and salt with the olive oil. Mix well.
- Add the shrimp and tomatoes, toss with the olive oil/spice mixture, and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for about half an hour.
- Preheat grill.
- Place a tomato in the center of the “U” of a shrimp and carefully skewer, making sure you skewer both sides of the shrimp and the tomato in the middle. Reserve, and continue skewering all the shrimp.
- Place on the grill with the skewer ends facing away from the heat, and grill for about 3 minutes on one side. Flip and continue cooking until the shrimp is pink and completely cooked, about another 3 minutes.
- Remove from the grill, place a single basil leaf, folded in half, at the end of the skewer, and serve warm or with your favorite dipping sauce.
Makes about 35 appetizers (or fewer if using larger shrimp)