Tomato Tulip Toast with Spring Seasonal Medley
Course Type: Brunch, Holiday, Vegetarian
Preparation Time: 60 Minutes
Have your flowers, and eat them too, with this easy, edible (and incredible!) toast.
- 16 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves
- .25 ounces fresh thyme, stemmed
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 8-10 various sized slices of pumpernickel bread, lightly toasted
- 15-20 NatureSweet® Spring Seasonal Medley tomatoes
- 15-20 stalks of chives, depending on the length of stalks
- 2-3 fresh oregano stems
- In a food processor, combine the softened cream cheese, basil leaves, stemmed thyme, and dried parsley and pulse until herbs are incorporated, and the texture is creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread an even layer of the herbed cream cheese on each slice of toast and top with tomato tulips, adding extra chive stems and oregano leaves for a floral effect.
- Cut a cross in the top and about 3/4 down the tomato. Using a small spoon (a grapefruit spoon works well) to gently scrape out the tomato seeds.
- Use a grilling skewer or toothpick to create a hole where the stem of the tomato would be. Twist the skewer in a circle a few times to make room for the chive to fit.
- Insert a chive into the hole at the bottom of each tomato. You can use the skewer to help guide the chive through the hole.