Vegan Pulled Jackfruit Tacos with Glorys® Salsa
Course Type: Entree, Vegan, Vegetarian
Preparation Time: 2hr 40 minutes
Dive into these meaty, vegan tacos on Meatless Monday, Taco Tuesday, and every other day of the week!
Ingredients:Pulled Jackfruit Ingredients:
- ¼ cup + 1 Tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 2-3 pinches ground cloves, adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek or chili powder, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 20 oz jackfruit in water
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 12 NatureSweet® Glorys® Tomatoes, quartered
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Tortillas, warmed
- Romaine lettuce, chopped
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Cilantro, chopped
- Red cabbage slaw
- Avocados or guacamole
Instructions:For the Jackfruit:
- Heat up ¼ cup olive oil in a medium, heavy-bottomed pan. Add the red onion and garlic, and cook until softened, translucent, and lightly caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low; add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Cook 25-30 minutes or until onions are completely browned and all liquid has evaporated (note: you can make the salsa during this time).
- Once the onions have caramelized, add the spices to the mixture, stirring until combined, about 1 minute.
- Mix in the sambal oelek and the tomato paste.
- Add the soy sauce, maple syrup, liquid smoke and apple cider vinegar, and mix until fully combined.
- Drain the jackfruit, then add it to the sauce.
- Squash the jackfruit pieces with your mixing spoon so that the individual fibers separate more. Season with pepper. Simmer the mixture gently for another 5-10 minutes, then serve immediately.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Adjust flavor with salt, pepper, and jalapeños.
- Build your tacos according to taste. Have fun with it and enjoy!