Vegan Wild Rice Stuffing with NatureSweet® Tomatoes
Course Type: Diabetes-Friendly, Gluten Free, Heart Healthy, Vegan, Vegetarian
Preparation Time: 50 Minutes
Enjoy our fresh and flavorful take on this heart healthy side dish.
Ingredients:For the rice:
- 1 cup dry wild rice
- 1 ¾ cup water or vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups (8 oz package) white button mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 Teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- ¾ cup raw pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1 cup NatureSweet® Constellation™ tomatoes, halved
- Fresh parsley, for garnish, optional
- Combine rice and 1 ¾ cup water or broth in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover the saucepan and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for about 30-35 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery, then cook until they begin to soften, and onion becomes translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until they turn golden brown, about 6-8 more minutes.
- Stir in thyme, parsley, salt, pepper, broth, and the cooked rice.
- Remove from heat, then add pecans and Constellation™ tomatoes. Garnish with fresh herbs, such as parsley, if desired, and serve warm.