Easy Eggplant, Tomato and Ricotta Bites
Course Type: Appetizer, Entree, Vegetarian
Preparation Time: 60 Minutes
Looking for a holiday crowd-pleaser? Look no further.
- 3/4 cup ricotta
- 1/2 cup goat cheese, at room temperature
- 4 Tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped basil
- 3 small to medium eggplants
- Kosher salt
- All-purpose flour, for dredging
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1 (10-oz.) container of NatureSweet® Constellation™ tomatoes, quartered
- Garlic salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Dried herbs, such as parsley or Herbs de Provence
- Using a hand mixer or food processor, blend goat cheese, ricotta and sour cream. Once smooth, add in basil and mix until basil is evenly distributed. Set aside.
- Slice the eggplant into ¼-½ -inch rounds, then season with salt. Set up your dredging stations: Pour all-purpose flour into a shallow dish. Beat the eggs in a second dish. In a third dish, whisk together the breadcrumbs, cornmeal, and Parmesan.
- Pat each slice of eggplant dry with a clean tea towel. Next, dredge the eggplant in the flour, then dip in the egg coating, and finish by rolling each slice in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat enough oil to coat the bottom of a large skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, cook the eggplant until golden, about 2 minutes per side, adding more oil between batches, if necessary. Transfer to a paper-towel lined baking sheet to drain any excess oil, then transfer to a serving platter.
- Spoon 1-2 heaping tablespoons of the cheese mixture onto each eggplant slice. Top with the tomato mixture, garnish with a pinch of dried herbs and serve immediately.