NatureSweet® Twilights™ Tomato Tapenade with Cheese and Crackers
Course Type: Appetizer
Preparation Time: 195 minutes
A tempting and tasty appetizer your guests can’t resist
- 12 crackers
- 1/3 cup NatureSweet® Twilights™ Tomato Tapenade
- 12 slices sharp cheddar cheese or similar
- 1 container NatureSweet® Twilights™ tomatoes
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- Pinch salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Niçoise olives, pitted
- 1/2 cup French olives (Picholine), small, green, pitted
- 1/2 tbsp. capers
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 anchovy fillet
- 2 tsp. thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 tsp. Italian parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp. oregano leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200° F.
- Cut tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds.
- Toss tomatoes in a bowl with 2 tsp. olive oil and pinch of salt and pepper.
- Spread tomatoes on a parchment- or wax-paper-lined baking sheet. Place in the oven for 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 hours, until shriveled but not dry and crispy.
- Finely chop the oven-dried tomatoes.
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients except the olive oil. Using the pulse button, process until coarsely chopped and well blended.
- Continue to process, slowly adding the olive oil.
- Refrigerate in a covered container. Use as needed. Will keep up to 1 week, refrigerated, in a covered container.
- Spread 1 tsp. tapenade on each cracker.
- Place a slice of cheese on top of the spread.
- Put a 1/4-tsp. dollop of tapenade on top of the cheese slice.
Recipes created by The Culinary Institute of America as an industry service to NatureSweet®. All rights reserved.