Heart-Healthy Endive and Roasted Tomato Salad
Course Type: Entreé Salad, Heart Healthy, Side Salad, Vegetarian
Preparation Time: 35 minutes
Lighten up lunchtime with this heavenly—and heart-healthy—winter salad.
- 10 oz NatureSweet® Cherubs® tomatoes
- 6 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 9 cups mixed greens
- 2 heads Belgian endive, cut lengthwise in quarters
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1 stem fresh rosemary, minced
- Shaved Pecorino Romano cheese, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the tomatoes on a rimmed baking sheet. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 1 tablespoon of the vinegar, the salt and pepper, and toss. Roast until the tomatoes are soft and beginning to collapse, 20 -25 minutes. Transfer all but 4 tomatoes to a small bowl.
- With the back of a spoon, gently crush the remaining 4 tomatoes on a baking sheet. Separate skins from pulp, and discard the skins. Scrape the tomato pulp and liquid into a bowl. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of vinegar and the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until emulsified. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine the mixed greens, endive, toasted walnuts and minced rosemary in a large bowl. Toss with the tomato vinaigrette, or serve it on the side. Top the salad with the reserved roasted tomatoes and grated Pecorino cheese. Serve immediately.